Saturday, February 09, 2008

K.I.S.S


It took me a couple of hours to grasp what had just happend. As the everyday-car was eating away the miles of danish grey scenery there was minutes of complete silence in the car. Not awkwardness, just silence. My hands were holding the steeringwheel with a minimum of effort. My mind was elsewhere. Suddenly it dawned on me, why I hate enginebuilding so much. It is like buying an old horse shoe in a flea market, only to realise that you have to build the rest of the horse from spareparts that only god can tell if will fit together.

Torben the engine guy took the longblock apart and...
I bought a header the other day, which I now realise is slightly (a lot) bigger than the 1600 engine will need. Not to worry.. Build a bigger engine.. When torn down the ghia engine was a cruel mistress. Purring like a pussy when in the car, it bit my ass like a dog, going for my wallet, when removed. The fools that originally "rebuild" the engine put the pistons in the wrong way. Don´t worry - piston kits are cheap as dirt! The cylinder heads were cracked like a five dollar hooker. The flywheel mounted with the shims of another year causing endplay and the headstuds were overtightened to the point of the threads being destroyed. The polish geniuses solved that with a blow of a big mallet causing the studs to sit firmly and never to be removed from the block again. The block itself were fine but not easy to machine with the forever-studs in place. What started out as a cheap check up to inspect and cure pistons, sleeves and rings probably turns into a 1745 ccm. with a longer stroke and the original bore. All i need now is the rest of the horse!

K.I.S.S - Keep • It • Simple • Stupid

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FUBAR.....

Like tha last engine I gave Torben, that will end up in 20-30 TDK..

Lars