Thursday, February 07, 2008

A change of heart


I was never really an engine-kinda-guy. I used to have a type 4 engine in my bug and I used to hate changing parts all the time. Adjusting carbs and generally trying to reinvent what an army of german engineers had thought long and hard about before building and letting evolve over 60 years. But it tought me one thing. To pull engines and to put them back in faster than your average sexual debut. My house project and the fact that I'm without a real workshop have made my engine-pullling days stop. But sunday we had a lot of friends over for brunch (a couple of them vw people) and the itch to pull a nice dirty engine got me. Looking at my finger nails, they were just to damn clean. The ghia is sitting in my one car garage together with the splitbeetle. It is looking perfect but one thing has to be fixed before hitting the roads again. Sitting for years in a museum in Poland the cylinderrings are a bit stuck causing oil to blow by. The exhaust was destroyed somewhere between Mantorp and my home. So I decided to find a cure. I pulled the engine and realized just how sweet and sound this car actually is. Everything is like new on the engine. Nice powder-black tin all over and no oilhaze in the bay. Next weekend my friend Torben will inspect the compression and hopefully put on the "Turbothomas" sidewinder type 3 exhaust I just found second hand. If I had the money maybe a nice torquey +2 liter type 1 with a horizontal Porsche cooling system would cause a change of heart?

No comments: